4.19.2010

Br. David Steindl-Rast

With so much of my free time lately being devoted to reading about the crisis in the Church, I decided I needed to take a break and reconnect with some of the worthier things in the Catholic tradition.

So last night I watched this documentary about one of my spiritual heroes, Br. David Steindl-Rast, a Benedictine monk. If you aren't familiar with Br. David, this is an excellent introduction.



I can't quite explain why, but I was strangely moved by the sight of "St. Peter's Barn."

This is part 2, about his encounter with Buddhist monasticism:



And part 3, about dishwashing, among other things:



Finally, an article about Br. David on the subject of authority, containing an important insight that Christianity desperately needs to reclaim: "A Revolution of Authority."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger crystal said...

He's an interesting guy. I remember the earlier video you posted of him and Thomas Keating. Is this the kind of spirituality you practice - centering prayer?

4:55 a.m.  
Blogger PrickliestPear said...

Crystal,

I practice zen meditation, which I first learned as an undergraduate, and which has been very fruitful for me, so I have never seriously looked into centering prayer. Maybe this summer.

1:35 p.m.  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh :) I spent a few weeks at a zendo in Hawaii - wasn't very good at zen meditation but tried.

4:32 a.m.  
Blogger PrickliestPear said...

Crystal,

A zendo in Hawaii, wow. That would be nice.

It does take a lot of practise, but that's true of any effective meditation method, at least in my experience.

1:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.