9.17.2006

Benedict says he's "deeply sorry"

"This was a quote from a medieval text which does not express in any way my personal thoughts," the pope said in his regular Sunday blessing, the Angelus, at his summer residence at Castel Gandolfo, southeast of Rome.

The pope told pilgrims he hoped his remarks now and an explanation by the Vatican Saturday were enough to "placate spirits and give the true meaning of my address, which in its totality was an attempt to frankly and sincerely express my great reciprocal and mutual respect with the Muslim faith." (from CNN.com)


I'm still wondering why he quoted it. Maybe if he explained that, people would take him more seriously. But I haven't read the entire Angelus text, as it hasn't been posted on the Vatican website just yet. So we'll have to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.